Accused Schenectady burglar now charged with harassing victims
SCHENECTADY A Level 3 sex offender indicted last month on a first-degree burglary charge and released on bail has been arrested again, this time accused of harassing the family that was the target of the alleged burglary.
Douglas Hyson, 58, of Wylie Street, now faces three new misdemeanor counts of aggravated harassment and criminal contempt, accused of violating an order of protection. The order of protection is not connected to the burglary case, but to a family court matter, records show.
Hyson has been free since shortly after his Oct. 1 burglary arrest, when he posted a $50,000 bond.
In the burglary case, Hyson is accused of illegally entering the victim’s Wylie Street apartment Oct. 1, armed with a baseball bat. Once inside, he is accused of going to the bedroom of a 17-year-old resident, pushing her against the wall and covering her mouth, prosecutors have said.
The girl got free, started yelling and making noise, and Hyson left, prosecutors said. The girl’s mother was at work at the time but other children were home.
Michael DeMatteo, the prosecutor in the burglary case, said this week the new charges could impact Hyson’s release in the burglary case. Defendants are generally warned by judges that new arrests could impact their release.
Hyson has denied the burglary allegations. He also denies the new harassment and contempt counts, his attorney Mark Juda said this week. He said his client has made his own allegations against the woman.
He also noted Hyson turned himself in on the new counts and then was released again.
Juda said while the contempt count is based on a family court order, his client and the woman have no children in common.
The new allegations relate to alleged contact with the woman on three dates since Hyson’s burglary arrest: Oct. 19, Nov. 6 and Nov. 18.
Hyson is accused of calling the woman over the phone repeatedly Oct. 19, telling her “I’m not going to leave you alone until you take me back,” according to papers filed in court.
She received an order of protection against him Oct. 25.
Hyson then allegedly called again Nov. 6 and allegedly entered an apartment neighboring the woman’s Nov. 18.
He has prior felony convictions, including two prior burglaries in the 1970s and a kidnapping in Michigan.
Hyson spent more than 20 years in a Michigan prison on the kidnapping conviction before he was released in 2002.
For that conviction, he was classified as a Level 3 sex offender, judged as having the highest risk to offend again.
According to a 2006 appeal of that classification, the kidnapping case resulted from the sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl.