It is hard to pick against a filly who has never lost and has had the best workout times at her distance each of the last three times she has been out. Just such a filly will be running Thursday in the New York Stallion Series Stakes, run at 6 1/2 furlongs on dirt.
Spin a Yarn (5-2) has been a star at Finger Lakes this summer, heavily bet and easily winning each of her three starts this year in dirt sprints. This move up in class may finally provide a challenge for the upstart sprinter, but only one other entrant in Thursday’s field, Officer Hutchy (9-5), has demonstrated the speed to meet her if both have a good race.
Officer Hutchy broke out in her last race, a six-furlong claiming race at Saratoga on Aug. 16. She was subsequently claimed and moved to trainer Rob Atras. Thursday’s race could go a long way in proving that her last time out was no fluke. The pace is not expected to be overwhelming, so she may not even need to hit the same speed rating she did in her last race to stay competitive.
- FIRST RACE: 5-Holy Emperor, 7-Compliant, 1-Glynn County, 1A-Lokoya Road.
- SECOND RACE: 3-Long Term Thinking, 8-Advance Notice, 4-Cause I Said So, 9-Verify.
- THIRD RACE: 2-Plum Ali, 3-Mischievous Dream, 1-Invincible Gal, 7-Simply Ravishing.
- FOURTH RACE: 5-I’ll Take The Cake, 6-Fair Lassie, 4-Blunt Force, 1-Cover Photo.
- FIFTH RACE: 7-Herald Angel, 9-Big Time Lady, 8-Classic Colors, 1-Mendham.
- SIXTH RACE: 3-Spin A Yarn, 7-Officer Hutchy, 2-Nicky Scissors, 6-The Important One.
- SEVENTH RACE: 3-Sun Summers, 1-Kitten By The Sea, 10-Music Of Life, 4-Tiltingatwindmills.
- EIGHTH RACE: 3-Palace Avenger, 6-Fair Regis, 5-Kept True, 8-Spanish Point.
- NINTH RACE: 5-Foxtail , 6-Lovely Lucky, 7-Miss Teheran, 8-Orglandes.
- TENTH RACE: 1-Ms Boombastic, 10-Counterparty Risk, 9-Apurate, 4-Harlem Heights.
Nashville (third), Royal Suspect (fifth), Fire at Will (ninth).
Record for meet: 85-for-349.