The featured race Saturday is the 140th running of the Grade I Alabama Stakes, a 1 1/4-mile route over the dirt track, and that distance will be the farthest any of today’s entrants have ever raced.
Spice is Nice (3-1) will be ridden by John Velazquez, who has won the Alabama three times in his career, aboard Yank’s Music (1996), Island Fashion (2003) and Stopchargingmaria (2014). The most recent win came with trainer Todd Pletcher, with whom he teams again Saturday.
In March, Spice is Nice was posted alongside Swiss Skydiver (1-1) in the Gulfstream Park Oaks. Swiss Skydiver wired the field for the win, and Spice is Nice got stuck in traffic and had to maneuver through the far turn for a clear running lane. Though too far behind to make a comeback, Spice is Nice matched Swiss Skydiver in the stretch and gave no further ground.
In each of her other races, Spice is Nice has kept near the front of the pack throughout the race, and if she can keep herself out of trouble right out of the gate she can find herself in position for a proper duel Saturday.
- FIRST RACE:
- 4-Bebe Banker, 3-Invest, 7-Indigo Yankee, 5-Somebody.
- SECOND RACE:
- 2-Rock Sugar, 6-Rip It, 5-Polinesia, 4-Public Sector.
- THIRD RACE:
- 6-Bitumen, 3-Reed Kan, 4-Skyler’s Scramjet, 5-Chateau.
- FOURTH RACE:
- 8-Eccoci Qua, 1-Orb In The Tower, 5-Quick Return, 2-Farragut.
- FIFTH RACE:
- 11-Beach Front, 3-Fevola, 10-Brazen, 2-No Lime.
- SIXTH RACE:
- 4-Swill, 9-Unitedandresolute, 5-Indoctrinate, 10-Restored Order.
- SEVENTH RACE:
- 11-Jack The Cat, 1-Bourbon Bay, 6-Mo Ready, 2-Sanctuary City.
- EIGHTH RACE:
- 6-Colonel Liam, 2-Decorated Invader, 3-No Word, 5-Gufo.
- NINTH RACE:
- 2-Spice Is Nice, 4-Bonny South, 5-Swiss Skydiver, 1-Envoutante.
- TENTH RACE:
- 2-Shiraz, 1-Maxwell Esquire, 4-Call Me Harry, 9-Bustin Shout.
- ELEVENTH RACE:
- 4-Bricco, 14-Nightspot, 9-High Tone, 12-Sidd Finch.
Record for meet: