The Daily Gazette
The Locally Owned Voice Of The Capital Region
Ken Schott's Parting Schotts
by Ken Schott

Parting Schotts

A Daily Gazette sports blog
Ken Schott blogs about college hockey & more

ECAC Hockey tournament first round Game 2 roundup: Two series extended, two series end

Two ECAC Hockey tournament first-round series ended Saturday night, and two others were extended to Sunday.

Here is the Game 2 roundup.

No. 10 Dartmouth 3, No. 7 RPI 2
Eric Neiley scored his second goal of the game with 6:14 left in regulation and then watched from the penalty box as his Dartmouth teammates killed off his late cross-checking penalty as the Big Green defeated the Engineers at Houston Field House.

The best-of-three series is tied at 1-1. The deciding game of the series will be Sunday night at 7 at the Field House.

It marks the sixth straight year that the Engineers (15-15-6) have played in a series that went the distance.

Neiley gave the Big Green (9-18-4) a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal 7:13 into the first period.

Jacob Laliberte tied it for RPI at 8:43 of the second, but Dartmouth regained the lead just over a minute later on a Jesse Beamish goal. Ryan Haggerty’s power-play goal with 8:05 left in the second tied it again for RPI.

Neiley was penalized with 1:19 left. RPI goalie Scott Diebold was pulled for an extra attacker, giving the Engineers two extra skaters for the power play. But the Big Green withstood the challenge.

To watch RPI coach Seth Appert's press conference, click here.

No. 5 Clarkson 4, No. 12 Princeton 0
Jeff DiNallo scored 54 seconds into the game, and goalie Steve Perry had the Golden Knights believing by making 24 saves as Clarkson shook off Friday's 3-2 overtime loss by beating Princeton.

The teams will play Sunday night at 7 to decide who advances.

Will Frederick scored a power-play goal in the first. James de Haas had two goals in the second period for Clarkson (19-15-4).

Sean Bonar got the start in goal for Princeton (6-25) instead of Colton Phinney, who had 39 saves Friday. Bonar stopped 33 shots.

No. 8 St. Lawrence 3, No. 9 Brown 2
Goals by Gavin Bayreuther and Woody Hudson 1:16 apart early in the third period gave the Saints a 3-1 lead, and they held on to eliminate the Bears from the tournament.

Eric Sweetman, who scored in double overtime Friday night for St. Lawrence (15-17-4), gave the Saints a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal in the second period.

Garnet Hathaway tied it for Brown (11-17-3) at 4:10 of the third. But Bayreuther scored 26 seconds later to break the tie.

Ryan Jacobson scored for the Bears midway through the third.

No. 6 Yale 2, No. 11 Harvard 1
Stu Wilson and Kenny Agostino scored 38 seconds apart midway through the third period, helping the Bulldogs rally for a win and oust the Crimson from the tournament.

Wilson scored on a delayed penalty against Harvard's Brian Hart at 10:31. On the ensuing power play, Agostino scored at 11:09.

Jesse Root (The Pittsburgh Native) assisted on both goals for Yale (17-9-5), the defending NCAA champions.

Hart scored a power-play goal for Harvard (10-17-4). Goalie Raphael Girard stopped 37 shots.

Follow @slapschotts on Twitter. Follow @dgazettesports on Twitter.

Enjoy this post? Share it!


There are currently no posts. Be the first to comment on this story.

columnists & blogs