CARS HOMES JOBS
Linda LeTendre's Waging Peace
by Linda LeTendre

Waging Peace

A Daily Gazette community blog
Linda LeTendre fights for a peaceful world.
 

Some stats to get you fired up today for Occupy Albany

By Linda LeTendre
Friday, October 21, 2011
Photo of

“In the past 30 years, 96 percent of the growth of average incomes in this country have gone to the richest 10 percent of the country. And in the past 10 years, the incomes of the other 90 percent have declined.”

-- From “Amazing Charts Show How 90% of the Country Has Gotten Shafted over the Past 30 Years” by Henry Blodget, CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Business Insider.

Now that I have your attention:

Occupy Albany starts in Albany at noon today in Lafayette Park. The first General Assembly will be at 5 p.m. at Lafayette Park today. Lafayette Park is across from the State Capitol and City Hall.

Here are a few more stats from that bastion of left liberal thinking, Forbes Magazine, to get you primed and ready for the event (and for those who only get their news from the mainstream media they also make clear what exactly the issues are at the event that started it all -- Occupy Wall Street):

In 2009 the Bank of America made a profit of $4.4 billion, paid $0 in federal income taxes, received a refund of $1.9 billion AND, AND a bail out of $1 trillion.

(To give you an idea of just how much a billion dollars is -- if you had a billion dollars when Columbus set sail to the Americas in 1492 and you spent $1,000 a day you would not have run out until the year 2000. That's 508 years, or 185,420 days, of spending $1,000 per day. OK -- keep reading.)

In that same year of 2009, ExxonMobil made a profit of $37.3 billion, paid $0 in federal income taxes and received a refund of $156 million.

GE in 2010 made a profit of $14 billion, paid $0 in federal income taxes, received a credit of $3 billion AND, AND between 2001 and 2010 GE cut 20 percent of U.S. jobs.

In fact nearly two thirds of all U.S. corporation pay $0 (zip, none, nada, bupkis) in federal income taxes. “What's (left) in your wallet?”

To be fair, the news is not all bad. From 2005 to 2010, Shell, BP, Chevron and ExxonMobil made a combined profit of $546 billion and created a whopping 11,200 jobs, not counting the ones inadvertently created by the BP oil spill. Talk about a windfall!

Just to give this blog a bit of pizazz and stay hip, I've included a beautiful color chart of what “Trickle Up Economics” actually looks like. (“Trickle Up Economics” should not be confused with “Trickle Down Economics” -- that's where they pee down your back and tell you it's raining. Just kidding, it's the same thing.)

Had enough? Make time to come to Albany. Go to www.occupyalbany.org or their facebook page at Occupy Albany Begins.

This is not a Democrat or a Republican issue. It is not a conservative or liberal issue. It is not a right or left issue. It is an issue of the survival of you, me -- us.

To read more on Blodget's well written and informative article (great charts and graphs too) click HERE.

 

comments

 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: