Top 10 songs
Last week, apropos of nothing, my friend Geoff sent me a list of his 10 favorite songs, as well as his bottom 5.
My immediate impulse was to compose my own list, and I think that’s what Geoff wanted me to do. But I was overwhelmed by the task. There are so many songs that I absolutely love — how could I pick just 10? And I was vaguely worried about going public with such a list. Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” is one of the greatest songs ever written. And yet I’d probably rather include a Violent Femmes song in my top 10. Which I guess is just a way from saying that the list I put together reflects my own idiosyncratic taste, and that nobody should take it too seriously.
10. “Heroin” by the Velvet Underground
9. “The Boxer” by Simon and Garfunkel
8. “Float On” by Modest Mouse
7. “Little Red Corvette” by Prince
6. “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” by Wilco
5. “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2
4. “Under Pressure” by David Bowie and Queen
3. “What Jail is Like” by the Afghan Whigs
2. “I Am a Scientist” by Guided by Voices
1. “Within Your Reach” by The Replacements
“Add It Up” by the Violent Femmes
“Hyper-ballad” by Bjork
“A-OK” by Face to Face
“Bones” by Radiohead
“Where’d You Go?” by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Got a comment? Email me at email@example.com.