Edison Plaza's history
Edison Plaza, now home to Schenectady Hardware and Electric, was home of the central fire department in 1929. Posted on September 5, 2013.
The arched doorways of the old central fire station are now windows at Schenectady Hardware and Electric.
Edison Plaza, now home to Schenectady Hardware and Electric, served as the city’s central fire station for four decades.
This photograph of the central fire station, now Edison Plaza, was taken shortly after the building was opened on Erie Boulevard in 1929. (Schenectady County Historical Society)
Once Schenectady’s central fire station, the main conference room at Edison Plaza still has the old fire pole the firemen used to get from their second-floor bunks to their trucks.