Union campus: The Grand Design
By 1806, just a decade after its founding, Union College was graduating as many students as Harvard, Yale and Princeton. But if the Schenectady institution was to truly gain equal footing with “The Big Three,” school president Eliphalet Nott felt it needed a campus to reflect that status.
When he took office in 1804, Nott talked about how Union’s students should be “separated from the great world,” and that the campus should provide them with “the decorum, ceremony, and politeness of refined domestic life.” In January 1813, he found a man with the vision to deliver just that in French architect Joseph Ramée.
Union College is celebrating the 200th anniversary of its Ramée-designed campus, often referred to as the first fully planned college campus in American history. Posted on April 15, 2013.
The Messa House at Union College, a dormitory that houses around 50 students, is a later addition to the original North College, built in 1814.
The Schaffer Library at Union College Campus.was built in 1961 and is located just east of the Nott Memorial, which had been serving as the college library
The Memorial Chapel on the Union College Campus was built between 1924 and 26 as a memorial for Union students killed during World War I.
The Richmond House, named after former Union College president Charles A. Richmond (1909-1928), is home to 130 or so first-year students and is located on the northern side of the campus.
Union College's West Hall is located on the west side of campus between Fox and Richmond Halls.
The statue of Chester A. Arthur, a former U.S. president and member of the Union College class of 1848, is located just outside the gate to Jackson Gardens.
The Chester A. Arthur Memorial, foreground, and the Nott Memorial, background, are two of the most popular landmarks on the Union College Campus.
The Jackson Gardens entrance on the Union College Campus leads to one of the oldest and still-surviving public gardens in the U.S.
Jackson Gardens on the Union College Campus.was created by math and natural philosophy professor Isaac Jackson back in the 1830s.
Jackson Gardens, on the northern side of the campus, was begun by Union College math and natural philosophy professor Isaac Jackson in the 1830s.
With the Nott Memorial in the background, a banner celebrates the 200th anniversary of Joseph Ramee's design for the Union College campus.
The interior of the 16-sided Nott Memorial came from the creative mind of architect Edward Tuckerman Potter.
North College was built in 1814 and is part of the original plan designed by Joseph Ramee.
Butterfield Hall on the Union College Campus was built in the 1890's with money donated by Union Civil War general and Union graduate Daniel Butterfield.
The F.W. Olin Center at Union College is a science laboratory and one of the newest buildings on campus, having been built in 1999.
The Yulman Theater on the Union College Campus was built in 1994 and seats around 240 audience members.
The Hale House on the Union College campus was part of South College, which was rebuilt in 1936 and named after Union professor Edward Everett Hale.