Memories of ALCO
Former American Locomotive employees are being invited by the ALCO Heritage Museum to share their memories of the plant that for more than 100 years dominated the city landscape along Maxon Road. Saturday from 10 a.m. until noon at Niskayuna High School, oral histories will be collected and later deposited with the ALCO Heritage Museum on Maxon Road Extension. Posted on February 27, 2012.
In 1890, 11 years before the American Locomotive Co. was formed, employees of the Schenectady Locomotive Works gathered to pose for this photograph.
In 1923, two automobiles pull into a parking area at the American Locomotive Co. in Schenectady.
ALCO employees march down Nott Street toward the main plant during the 1917 Liberty Loan Parade. The photograph was taken from a five-story building built by ALCO.
On April 10, 1943, a ceremony was held in Schenectady by American and British officials honoring ALCO’s war effort, which included building tanks like this M4. In the background is the Hotel Van Curler, now Schenectady County Community College.
City officials and ALCO employees marched down State Street together on April 10, 1943, honoring the company's war effort. The Schenectady ALCO plant had as many as 11,000 workers during World War II.