The Rambler returns
In the spring of 1950, the Nash company decided to revive the Rambler name. “We are proud to revive a famous name in the history of our industry,” said H.O. Doss, who was in charge of sales for Nash. “The first of this series of new cars will be shown publicly in mid-April.”
The Rambler joined the Statesman and the Ambassador in the Nash lineup. And in late March of 1950, George W. Wedekind and William C. Lester, president and sales manager, respectively, of Wedekind Motors in Schenectady, traveled to New York City for a special dealer preview of the Rambler. Posted on October 17, 2011.
Schenectady race car driver Ed Sollohub, left, and George Wedekind of Wedekind Motors look over the Nash Rambler that was knocked out of the Mexican Pan-American Stock Car Race in May 1950. Sollohub bought the Rambler at Wedekind, then a local Nash dealer, and entered the 2,178-mile race.
From left, Wedekind, Sollohub, relief driver and mechanic Nick Scott and Schenectady Mayor Owen M. Begley talk about the Rambler that Sollohub bought to race in Mexico. The guys posed in front of City Hall, and Begley gave Sollohub a letter from the people of Schenectady to Mexican President Miguel Aleman.
Two guys, the open road and high adventure: It wasn't “Route 66” and a Chevrolet Corvette — it was Schenectady County and a new Nash automobile from Wedekind Motors. This photo starred George Wedekind at far left.
Wedekind, far left, shows off a new Nash Ambassador inside the Schenectady showroom of Wedekind Motors during the early 1950s.