Cooperstown in '53
Wooden tools used by baseball players and steel tools used by farmers have always been found in one place — Cooperstown.
The village in Otsego County, a short drive from the Capital Region, is home to both the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum and The Farmers’ Museum. Once people see enough baseball bats, gloves, rakes and plows, they can also examine American folk and American Indian art inside the Fenimore Art Museum. Posted on May 30, 2011.
Pioneer frontier life in New York returned to life inside The Farmers’ Museum in Cooperstown. Old ways and tools were on display in 1953; they remain on exhibit in 2011.
A blacksmith works with heat and iron at The Farmers’ Museum.
A young woman walks toward the entrance of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum during the summer of 1953. The Hall and The Farmers’ Museum remain popular summer attractions in Cooperstown.
Young baseball fans “meet” Babe Ruth inside the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in 1953.
Bats and baseballs inside the Baseball Hall of Fame captured the attention of two young visitors.
Louis C. Jones, director of the New York State Historical Association, examines a painting of Schenectady’s Old Dutch Church. The painting was part of the collection at the Fenimore House in 1953.
Summer leaves hung over Cooperstown in 1953.
A statue of James Fenimore Cooper, the celebrated early 19th century author, stands watch over Cooperstown during the summer of 1953. The Otsego County village was named after Cooper's father, Judge William Cooper.