Clydesdales' 1952 visit
During the 1950s, talking beer mugs Schultz and Dooley helped sell Utica Club beer. Carling’s hired Mabel, the pretty barmaid who heard “Mabel, Black Label!” from folks at the bar.
Budweiser’s advertising ambassadors didn’t speak. They marched.
The beer brand’s famous Clydesdale Horses strutted into Schenectady during the summer of 1952. Eight horses with the traditional feathered legs arrived on Saturday, July 12, with nine handlers, a Dalmatian dog named Buttons and a Sicilian donkey. Posted on May 23, 2011.
Budweiser’s Clydesdales impress a crowd of people on Erie Boulevard on July 14, 1952.
Shantz, one of Budweiser’s traveling Clydesdale horses, stands still for a photo with Charles J. Touhey of the Mynderse Beverage Co. (far left), team driver Walter Brady of St. Louis and 5-year-old Judy Robinson of Ballston Spa. Judy seems more interested in Buttons, the Clydesdales’ mascot.
Donald Butler, left, holds his son John for a closer look at Shantz, a member of Budweiser’s Clydesdale clan. Brian McCarthy, right, gets a boy’s-eye view of the horse atop the shoulders of his father, David McCarthy. This photo was taken on July 12, 1952, the day the horses arrived.
Buttons, an associate of Budweiser’s Clydesdale horses, makes three new friends on a hot summer day in 1952.
Capital Region residents pass through the stalls set up at Schenectady’s Mohawk Chevrolet, a temporary horse hotel.
Budweiser’s Walter Brady and an equine acquaintance stand for a group photo with Capital Region horse admirers.