The Ballston Lake building that now houses Carney’s Tavern dates to at least 1845 and was used as a saloon, a barber shop and a grocery store before turning into a 10-room hotel in the late 1800s called Shendahora or Shenandahora. The place has always had a strong community connection. Posted on February 27, 2011.
Carney's Tavern in Ballston Lake has been a community meeting spot since the second half of the 19th century. It has gone through many name changes and was often called the Ballston Lake Hotel.
Bob and Rosemary Carney run their namesake establishment on Main Street in Ballston Lake.
Carney’s Tavern, left, is photographed looking south on Route 146A in Ballston Lake. The building was a hotel previously.
This photo from the 1890s shows the current Carney's Tavern.