The Park-McCullough House
For people who love historic mansions as well as the state of Vermont and its history, it doesn’t get any better than the Park-McCullough House in North Bennington.
A Victorian mansion built in 1865 by Trenor L. Park, the Park-McCullough House represents more than 200 years of Vermont history, beginning with future governor Hiland Hall, whose parents moved onto the land in the 1770s, to John G. McCullough II, the man who in 1968 donated the home to the newly formed Park-McCullough House Association. Posted on June 29, 2008.
The Park-McCullough House in North Bennington, built in 1865 by Trenor Park, was home to four generations of one Vermont family, including two governors of the state.
Steve and Sharon Weyland, left, of Middletown, Conn., and Cole Wilcox, 8, and Helen Morandi, right, of North Bennington, listen as deputy director Mark Sekora talks about the history of the Park-McCullough House.
Trenor Park and John G. McCullough both used this room, now referred to as the governor’s parlor, to entertain dignitaries, including a visit from U.S. president Benjamin Harrison in 1891.
John G. McCullough, governor of Vermont from 1902-1904, often used this parlor on the ground floor of the Park-McCullough house to handle his official duties.
A decorative statuary greets visitors to the main staircase of the Park-McCullough House.
The main staircase at the Park-McCullough House splits into a double stairway after visitors reach the first landing.
This second-floor bedroom was used by Lizzie Park-McCullough, who lived in the Park-McCullough House longer than anyone else (1865-1938).
The carriage house still holds many of the carriages that belonged to the Park-McCullough family, and is also used as a meeting room for various programs held on the site.
Originally built as a doghouse, this small structure on the south lawn of the Park-McCullough House became a popular playhouse for the family children.