CARS HOMES JOBS

Teen suffers only minor burn after sweatshirt catches fire

Thursday, May 29, 2014
Text Size: A | A

— A 13-year-old boy suffered a minor burn to his hand after his sweatshirt caught fire, officials said.

The sweat shirt was soaked in lighter fluid, Deputy Fire Chief Michael O’Clair said, and police are investigating how that happened.

The incident happened around 7 p.m. at a Lansing Street residence. The boy said his sweatshirt caught fire from the stove as he attempted to cook, O’Clair said, adding that he was saved from serious injury by his 15-year-old sister, who poured a bucket of water on him.

The boy told investigators that the lighter fluid got onto his sweatshirt as he was walking on Crane Street, O’Clair said. A bucket spilled on him, he went home, cooked dinner and caught fire.

Police checked the area of Crane Street where the boy said the spill happened, but the layout of the area ruled out anything falling on a pedestrian. Also, nothing was found indicating anything had spilled, O’Clair said.

Police remained at the scene as the investigation continued Wednesday night.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: