Fire spreads from basement, damages Schenectady house
SCHENECTADY Fire chased an Oregon Avenue couple from their home Wednesday evening.
Deputy Chief Kurt Gerfin of the Schenectady Fire Department said the couple returned to 157 Oregon Ave. around 5:40 p.m. to find black smoke pouring from their chimney. The found the house was filled with smoke upon opening the door.
Firefighters arrived a short time later to see flames through a basement window. They aggressively attacked the fire and were able to knock it down quickly, but not before it had spread through the walls of the first floor.
“The building is certainly repairable, but there’s heavy smoke and water damage,” Gerfin said.