CARS HOMES JOBS

Gas leak evacuates Schenectady apartment building

Thursday, June 26, 2014
Text Size: A | A

Schenectady firefighter Brian Hilton stands by at a gas main leak at Wade Lupe Apartments on Queens Drive Thursday afternoon.
Photographer: Peter R. Barber
Schenectady firefighter Brian Hilton stands by at a gas main leak at Wade Lupe Apartments on Queens Drive Thursday afternoon.

— Firefighters had to evacuate the Wade Lupe Tower & Garden apartments after a worker punctured an outdoor gas main, Assistant Fire Chief Michael Gillespie said.

The worker was driving stakes into the ground next to a driveway, and hit the plastic, 4-inch man, Gillespie said.

Gas bubbled out of the ground. Firefighters evacuated the tenants as a precaution, but Gillespie said they were never in danger — the gas remained outdoors.

Roughly half an hour later, National Grid arrived and began repairs, he said.

Two non-ambulatory residents of the apartment building were taken out of their units by ambulance crews, and were waiting in Mohawk Ambulances for the all-clear. The other residents were standing in a wooded area near the apartments.

The apartments are on Queens Drive, near the Stadium Golf Club.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: