The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region

NY agency advises residents on toxic giant hogweed

Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Text Size: A | A

— If you come across a plant that's as tall as a house and topped with umbrella-shaped white flower clusters, don't touch it. It might be giant hogweed, which can cause blistering and blindness.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation is continuing its ongoing efforts to control invasive giant hogweed plants across the state. It's reminding residents to look out for the plant and report any new locations.

Giant hogweed resembles an enormous parsley plant, up to 14 feet tall with 5-foot-wide leaves and bristles on its purple-blotched hollow stems. Skin exposed to hogweed sap can be severely burned.

If you find one, DEC wants you to take photos and email them to ghogweed@dec.ny.gov.

More than 800 properties have had their giant hogweed plants controlled by DEC.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.

 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: