Ex-Schenectady man admits rape
SCHENECTADY A Brooklyn man admitted Monday morning that he forced his way into a woman’s Woodlawn home and raped her last year.
The suspect chose the woman at random, prosecutors have said, then followed her to her residence and attacked her.
Michael C. Blake, 20, pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree rape, averting a trial that was expected to begin next week.
In return for his plea, he is to receive nine years in state prison and 20 years of post-release supervision when sentenced March 10.
Blake admitted to attacking the woman just before 11 p.m. Feb. 13, 2013.
The attack happened after Blake spotted the woman on the street and followed her to her home, prosecutor Tracey Brunecz said. He forced his way through her door, told the woman he had a gun and raped her. The two did not know each other.
The woman reported the rape and Blake soon became a suspect, Brunecz said. The woman identified Blake in a photo lineup. His DNA also matched DNA left at the scene.
Blake lived in Schenectady at the time, in the same general area as the victim, prosecutors have said. He was arrested in June in Brooklyn.
Brunecz said afterward that the nine-year offer was made to spare the victim from testifying at the trial. Blake faced up to 25 years in prison, if convicted of the rape charge at trial.
Brunecz also noted that the 20 years of post-release supervision, formerly known as parole, will ensure that Blake is monitored upon his release.
She said the victim has been in agreement with the resolution.
“She’s doing just fine,” Brunecz said of the victim. “She’s a lovely, lovely lady.”
Blake was represented by attorney Steve Signore. The plea was taken in Schenectady County Court by Judge Polly Hoye.