Man found dead in Saratoga Springs hotel, overdose suspected
SARATOGA SPRINGS A man found unresponsive in the bathroom of a Saratoga Springs hotel Monday is believed to have died of a heroin overdose, according to a police statement issued Wednesday night.
Saratoga Springs Police Lt. Robert Jillson said Wednesday that a preliminary investigation led police to believe that heroin played a role in the man’s death. His identity was not released, but police said he was 53 and visiting a registered guest at the Hilton Garden Inn on South Broadway.
Police officers and firefighters were called to the hotel around 2 a.m. Monday for a medical assist. When they arrived, they found the man unresponsive in the bathroom of one of the hotel rooms. He was transported to Saratoga Hospital and died a short time later, police said.
Official autopsy results are not available yet.
Jillson said the department is investigating whether or not the man recently won money in the lottery or by other means just prior to his death. Several sources apparently passed along this information, they said.