Gas leak forces home evacuations
Updated 8:28 p.m.
WILTON About 140 people were asked to evacuate late this afternoon after a major propane gas leak was reported in the area near Northway Exit 16.
“It’s propane, so within a half-mile radius there is always a danger of a fire or explosion,” said Wilton Fire Chief Bill Morgan.
The leak originated at an AmeriGas storage facility on Ballard Road, between Dimmick and Gurn Springs roads. Employees discovered the leak when they were filling a truck shortly before 5 p.m., Morgan said.
He estimated the tank had been leaking between five and 10 minutes before authorities were notified and said it would take until about 10 p.m. to unload the rest of the gas from the tank.
According to the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office’s Twitter feed, Ballard Road is closed from Exit 16 to Dimmick Road, while Dimmick Road is closed between Gurn Springs and Ballard roads.
Fire crews from Greenfield, Gansevoort, South Glens Falls and Malta Ridge responded, along with Wilton EMS, the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police.
An emergency shelter has been set up at the Wilton fire station on Ballard Road, but as of 8 p.m., Morgan said none of the evacuees had taken advantage of it.