SARATOGA SPRINGS They’re some of my favorite turf sprinters on the Internet.
Keep it short, and keep it about racing. Well, usually.
The character-challenged social media phenomenon Twitter has been embraced by the sport of thoroughbred racing in a variety of ways.
Following is a list of accounts, in no particular order, to follow for Saratoga-specific bursts of brevity and levity, a good dose of gravity and perhaps even a little depravity:
1. @helloracefans: Dedicated to educating beginners, but tons of good stuff for everyone.
2. @SaratogaSpecial, @joeclancy65, @SaratogaTL: The leprechauns who magically leave those free newspapers all over the track in the wee hours of the morn.
3. @DRFLivingston: Daily Racing Form photog extraordinaire Barbara Livingston. Sublime images of the horses and grounds are a matter of routine for the Eclipse Award winner. Again, wee hours, morn, etc. But sunsets, too.
4. Trainers are increasingly taking to Twitter. A few Saratoga-based ones who are worth a follow for the quality, as well as frequency, of tweets are @GaryContessa, @GrahamMotion, @Hennigracing, @KennyMcPeek, @clementstable, @KPMRacingStable and @Romansracing.
Not many jockeys are active on Twitter, but one who is is @RajivMaragh.
Some owners include @EdwardStanco, @bflay, @TeamDonegal, @TeamValor, @westpointtbred, @Ramsey_Farm, @StarlightRacing and @jayemesssam.
5. @BklynBckstretch: Teresa Genaro is the Indiana Jones of racing, a high school English teacher by day who puts on her turfwriter hat when school is out to chase treasures and adventure all over her hometown. Strong commentary on the full spectrum of issues presented in a clear voice. Oh, and cats.
6. @MaggieWolfndale, @RichardMigliore, @andyserling: The New York Racing Association’s on-air handicapping and analyst talent recently was joined by @jasonblewitt30 to complete the superfecta.
7. @alanLATG: Biting, informed commentary on political issues related to racing and gaming. Oh, and handicapping.
8. @loomsboldly: Pete Fornatale covers the burgeoning world of handicapping contests for the DRF. Also the de facto Twitter correspondent for finding great beer in Saratoga.
9. @NotTheToddster: Fictitious doppelganger of trainer Todd Pletcher serves up a cocksure but chuckle-worthy stream of cartoonish pomposity. Typical dispatch, from Woodbine in Toronto in July:
“Just trained a Canadian Mountie’s horse to hum the Star-Spangled Banner. Mountie didn’t think it was funny. #CanadaProbs #QueensPlate.”
10. @SaratogaGoose: The voice of the Spa Infield Goose, whose appreciation for the four-legged animals who run around her is equal to her appreciation of a good time. Most mornings begin beak up in the bottom of the Travers canoe.
And because this list goes to 11 …
11. @Mike_MacAdam: But, of course! omg lol ;)