Mom of 1984 murder victim decries award verdict
MINEOLA, N.Y. — The mother of a slain teenager is decrying a $36 million jury award for two men who've been exonerated after serving 18 years in prison.
Concetta Napoli tells The Associated Press she still believes the two men, along with a third defendant, were responsible for the 1984 killing.
Napoli said she hopes Nassau County will appeal the verdict. County officials were not commenting Friday.
On Thursday, a federal jury awarded the men $18 million each.
They were cleared in 2005 after DNA testing proved the rape and murder of Theresa Fusco had been committed by another man. The jury found detectives had withheld and falsified evidence.
An attorney for the men said Napoli still believes in evidence that has since been proven false