The Daily Gazette
The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region
Advertisement
Promotions

Making a comeback

Second Ward residents still pulling for Steinmetz Park

From left, Schenectady City Engineer Christopher R. Wallin, Goosehill Neighborhood Association president Camille Sasinowski, and Synthesis landscape engineer Mary Moore Wallinger take a tour of the renovations being done in Steinmetz Park on Lenox Road.
Photographer: Marc Schultz
From left, Schenectady City Engineer Christopher R. Wallin, Goosehill Neighborhood Association president Camille Sasinowski, and Synthesis landscape engineer Mary Moore Wallinger take a tour of the renovations being done in Steinmetz Park on Lenox Road.
  • FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • GOOGLE+
  • LINKEDIN
  • PRINT
  • E-MAIL
Text Size: A | A

When General Electric icons Willis R. Whitney and William D. Coolidge offered up an idea, people in this part of the world usually listened. On May 20, 1946, the City Council of Schenectady was presented with a petition by its citizens calling for the Second Ward Park to be renamed Steinmetz Park, after the world-famous General Electric scientist Charles Proteus Steinmetz. There were two pieces of paper making up the petition, with Whitney’s name topping ...


You Must Log-In or Subscribe to Continue Subscription Offer Individual stories can be found and purchased from our Archives for $2.00

Advertisement

comments

There are currently no posts. Be the first to comment on this story.
Advertisement