Amsterdam police charge 7 after morning drug raids
Updated 6:32 p.m.
AMSTERDAM Officers confiscated a half-ounce of cocaine and took seven people into custody Friday on warrants alleging sales of heroin and cocaine, according to the Amsterdam Police Department.
Officers also seized drug paraphernalia and $3,400 in cash during the 6 a.m. raids, which involved city police along with the state police Community Narcotics Enforcement Team and the Montgomery County and Amsterdam Police SWAT team.
The following were arrested and held for arraignment in City Court:
• Angel Rodriguez-Morales, 28, and Giovania Matias, 38, both of 49 James St., were each charged with third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, a Class B felony, for allegedly selling heroin.
• Steven Velasquez, 26, of 31 Carmichael St., was charged with third-degree criminal sale and third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance. Police allege he had about a half-ounce of cocaine and more than $2,000 in cash at the time of his arrest. Velasquez also faces a charge of failure to appear in court for an earlier arrest.
• Vivian Rivera, 28, of 11 Clinton St., was charged with third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance and unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation. Police allege she was selling cocaine.
• Denise Reyes, 40, of 92 Union St., was charged with third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance for allegedly selling cocaine.
• Jean Carlos Arce-Santiago, 26, and Elizabeth Perez, 28, both of 159 Division St., were each charged with third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance for allegedly selling heroin.