The Daily Gazette
The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region
Advertisement
Promotions

Rape charges dropped against Rensselaer man after error

  • FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • GOOGLE+
  • LINKEDIN
  • PRINT
  • E-MAIL
Text Size: A | A

Advertisement

RENSSELAER — A 23-year-old man accused of raping two teen-aged girls in the Albany area will have those charges dropped after prosecutors failed to file key paperwork in his case.

Local media report that the felony charges will be dropped Wednesday against John Halacy of Rensselaer because the Rensselaer County District Attorney's Office failed to file a waiver of Halacy's speedy trial rights.

Halacy is expected to plead guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment charges.

The prosecutor's office said they take full responsibility for the mistake and apologize to the families. Prosecutors said they thought the paperwork had been filed.

Halacy was arrested in February as was charged with five counts of second-degree rape, among other charges.

He was released from county jail this week.

Advertisement

comments

There are currently no posts. Be the first to comment on this story.
Advertisement