Fire at Alpin Haus destroys two motor homes, trailer
FLORIDA Authorities are investigating a fire that broke out at the Alpin Haus dealership on Route 5S early this morning.
The fire broke out around 1:30 a.m., destroying two motor homes and a travel trailer. Alpin Haus President Andy Heck said the store was closed at the time and there were no injuries reported from the blaze.
"We are cooperating with the authorities as they investigate the matter," he said. "Our Amsterdam RV location is open and fully operational to service the needs of our RV customers."
Heck said the fire started in the parking lot, engulfing one good size motor home completely by the time Fort Hunter fire fighters arrived on the scene.
The fire then spread to another motor home and a travel trailer. All three were totalled before the blaze could be contained. Four others were also damaged but will be repaired.
"It was very unusual," he said. "You almost never hear about RV fires. They're very well built."
That said, when they do catch fire, there's plenty of material to burn. He described an RV as basically a small apartment with furniture, a wooden structure, wiring and gas burners.
All the damaged campers were privately owned, in for service.