The Daily Gazette
The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region
Advertisement
Promotions

Overloaded outlet blamed for Schenectady fire

Schenectady firefighters prepare to enter a burning house at 1641 Avenue A as an occupant makes her way to the street after flames broke out late Wednesday. 2 alarms were sounded to control the blaze.
Photographer: Peter R. Barber
Schenectady firefighters prepare to enter a burning house at 1641 Avenue A as an occupant makes her way to the street after flames broke out late Wednesday. 2 alarms were sounded to control the blaze.
  • FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • GOOGLE+
  • LINKEDIN
  • PRINT
  • E-MAIL
Text Size: A | A

— An overloaded electrical outlet is being blamed for a fire late Wednesday night on Avenue A that saw two parakeets rescued by firefighters, Fire Chief Michael Della Rocco said.

One resident was also injured, Della Rocco said, reportedly as he tried to extinguish the blaze himself.

A delay in calling firefighters, Della Rocco said, allowed the fire to grow.

Firefighters were called to the home at 1641 Avenue A for a fire on the second floor. The home sustained heavy fire damage to the front room on the second floor and the front of the attic, Della Rocco said. Smoke and water caused damage to the rest of the structure. The building, though, is believed to be structurally sound and can be repaired.

The home is situated near the corner of Avenue A and Kenwood Street, one block east of Van Vranken Avenue in the city’s Northside neighborhood.

The cause of the fire was traced to the overloaded outlet. The resident had a portable space heater connected to an extension cord. A multiple-outlet power strip was also plugged into the same outlet, Della Rocco said.

Advertisement

comments

There are currently no posts. Be the first to comment on this story.
Advertisement