Drunken driver sentenced in December head-on crash in Milton
BALLSTON SPA A Greenfield man who was drunk when he hit a woman’s car head-on in December was sentenced Friday to between 1 1⁄3 and four years in state prison.
Jeffrey M. Davenport, 24, of 640 Coy Road also was ordered to have an ignition interlock device on his vehicle for three years after his release to prevent his vehicle from starting if he is drunk.
Davenport was driving north on Middleline Road in Milton on Dec. 9, 2012, when he crossed over the center line and hit a southbound vehicle.
The other driver, Kristina M. Giammusso, 22, of Greenfield Center, broke her back on impact. Both she and Davenport were flown to Albany Medical Center after the crash.
Davenport’s blood-alcohol content was 0.18 percent, more than twice the legal threshold for intoxication, which is 0.08 percent, authorities said. He pleaded guilty in May to first-degree vehicular assault.
Giammusso was on her way to work at 5 a.m. that day when she saw bright headlights heading straight toward her, she told the court on Friday before Davenport was sentenced.
“The hard part of this accident came when I was in a room with my parents, and a nurse told me I had broken my back, and that if I moved too much I could be paralyzed for the rest of my life,” she said. “I was in such shock I didn’t know what to think.”
Although she escaped paralysis, Giammusso said she couldn’t shower or dress herself for five weeks, and every movement she made was painful.
Six months later, she continues to recover and is able to work on a limited basis, she said.
“To this day I am always conscious of how I move and go about doing normal daily activities such as driving, lifting or even standing,” she said.
Also in Saratoga County Court:
• Christopher A. Herring, 30, no address given, pleaded guilty Friday to third-degree attempted criminal sale of a controlled substance, a crime police said he committed in March 2012 in Malta.
• Michael J. Mahoney, 47, of 2 Evergreen Ave., Clifton Park, pleaded guilty Friday to driving while intoxicated and was placed on interim probation to participate in Drug Treatment Court. Authorities said he drove drunk in March in Clifton Park.
• Christopher Desroches, 37, of 40 Meyer Road, Clifton Park, pleaded guilty Friday to third-degree burglary and was placed on interim probation to participate in Drug Treatment Court. He was accused of committing burglary in December in Halfmoon.
• Russell L. Snyder, 44, of Malone, was sentenced Friday to six months in Saratoga County Jail and five years’ probation for fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a crime authorities said he committed in October in Clifton Park.
• Celena M. Rich, 33, of 9 Joseph St., Saratoga Springs, was sentenced Friday to five years in state prison and three years of post-release supervision for third-degree attempted criminal sale of a controlled substance, a crime authorities said she committed in November in Saratoga Springs.
• Harry G. Steele, 31, of 110 Cobble Hill Road, Wilton, was sentenced Friday to nine months in Saratoga County Jail for fifth-degree attempted criminal possession of a controlled substance, a crime he was accused of committing in March 2012 in Wilton.
• Christopher Cormier, 42, no address given, was indicted Thursday on charges of third-degree criminal possession of stolen property, second-degree criminal mischief, fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, third-degree grand larceny and misdemeanor DWI. The charges date from December in Clifton Park and Halfmoon.
• Russell Laquidara, 41, of 9 Castle Drive, Stillwater, was indicted Thursday on three felony DWI counts from March in Saratoga Springs.
• Karen M. North, 43, of Albany, was indicted Thursday on four felony DWI counts, including aggravated DWI and aggravated DWI with a child in the vehicle. She was arrested in April in Clifton Park.
• Keith W. Oakes, 57, of 11 Columbus Ave., Mechanicville, pleaded guilty Thursday to driving drunk in December in Halfmoon.
• Carl Nazarian, 55, of 32 Wishing Well Lane, Rexford, was sentenced Thursday to 45 days in Saratoga County Jail and five years’ probation for driving drunk in December in Clifton Park.
• Bryan Van Apeldorn, 33, of Rensselaer was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in Saratoga County Jail and five years’ probation for driving drunk in December in Malta.
• Christopher P. Haskell, 29, of 38 East Grove St., Ballston Spa, was sentenced Thursday to five days in Saratoga County Jail and five years’ probation for driving drunk in February in Saratoga Springs.
• Richard A. Janes, 33, of 151 Bockes Road, Greenfield, was sentenced Thursday to one to three years in state prison and ordered to pay $69,180 restitution for committing second-degree attempted assault in January in Greenfield.
• Alfred C. Jones Jr., 48, no address given, was sentenced to one to three years in state prison and $205 restitution for committing third-degree attempted burglary in March in Milton.