Schuylerville woman indicted in shooting death of former boyfriend
Updated 10:32 p.m.
BALLSTON SPA A 29-year-old Schuylerville woman was indicted today on charges of murder, manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon for allegedly shooting and killing her ex-boyfriend with a rifle last summer.
Joey M. Paul of Church Street allegedly fired a single bullet into the head of Matthew K. Furlani, 28, who was living with her at the time of the shooting.
Saratoga County District Attorney James A. Murphy said soon after the shooting that there was no allegation of self-defense because Furlani was unarmed at the time of the shooting.
Murphy identified Furlani as Paul’s “former boyfriend,” though the two still shared an apartment.
The shooting occurred in the small village about 10 miles east of Saratoga Springs around 10:30 a.m. Sunday, July 1. Neighbors who heard the shot immediately called 911. Upon arriving at the scene, state police found Furlani dead and Paul the only other occupant of the apartment.
Furlani had suffered a gunshot wound to the head. A large-caliber rifle was secured at the scene, state police said. Furlani’s death was attributed to massive trauma from the single gunshot to the head.
At the time of the shooting, Paul already had a felony burglary charge pending against her in the city of Mechanicville for allegedly stealing property from her brother’s home, police said.
The indictments against Paul were handed up to Saratoga County Court Judge Jerry J. Scarano. Second-degree murder carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison upon conviction.
Paul remains in the Saratoga County jail.
In other county court cases:
• Zachary W. Currier, 18, of Geyser Road in Milton, was indicted on charges of first-degree rape, burglary, sexual abuse, attempted assault and 11 counts of criminal contempt, stemming from domestic incidents from May through October 2012 in Saratoga Springs involving an underage girl.
• Jesmarie Lozada-Alomar, 19, of Teller Street in Amsterdam, was indicted on grand larceny and conspiracy counts, stemming from an arrest by state police Dec. 22 in the town of Halfmoon.
• Alfred H. Zwack, 43, of Myrtle Avenue in Albany, was indicted on grand larceny, conspiracy and criminal solicitation counts, stemming from his arrest by state police Dec. 22 in the town of Halfmoon.
• Dorothy G. Minnich, 42, of Central Avenue in Albany, was indicted on charges of grand larceny, conspiracy and unlawfully fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle, stemming from her arrest by state police Dec. 22 in the town of Halfmoon.
• Suzanne H. Macduff, 49, of Route 4 in Hudson Falls, was indicted on two counts of driving while intoxicated, stemming from her arrest Aug. 8 in the town of Saratoga.