CARS HOMES JOBS

Schenectady firefighters discover blaze on accident call

Saturday, January 5, 2013
Text Size: A | A

Schenectady firefighters Jeremy Matson and Michael Mareno are showered in sparks as flames pour through a vent hole in the roof of 16-18 Elm St. after fire broke out early Saturday.
Schenectady firefighters Jeremy Matson and Michael Mareno are showered in sparks as flames pour through a vent hole in the roof of 16-18 Elm St. after fire broke out early Saturday.

— Schenectady firefighters were in the right place at the right time this morning.

While tending to a minor car accident at the corner of State and Elm streets just after 2 a.m., an onlooker in the crowd at the scene noticed flames shooting through the roof of a home at 16 Elm St.

A fire crew quickly ran to the scene, while calling for more units, to make sure no one was inside or hurt. Deputy Fire Chief Raymond Senecal said the blaze began in the ceiling of the second floor as an electrical fire.

“It could have been smoldering for hours,” he said. “It had burnt all the way up through the attic roof before it was noticed by somebody.”

No one was home at the time of the fire. Senecal said two adults live there.

The two-story home was built in 1920 and had its electrical wiring in the area between the second-story ceiling and attic floor. The home sustained considerable damage and is currently uninhabitable, he said, but he estimated it can be rebuilt.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

January 6, 2013
10:39 a.m.
kmiac says...

Great job SFD

January 6, 2013
11:25 a.m.
cfield says...

Wondering if they need a 5 million + new firehouse to respond to that call!

January 6, 2013
3:03 p.m.
tonijean613 says...

I think its called "Knob and Tube" wiring- most of the older homes have it. Worth replacing it if you can afford to do it- These fires always seem to start in the attic or top floors- not sure why, but I do know of a fire like this was triggered by use of a electric heater overloading the old wires. Not sure if possible to re-wire only part of a house- but definitely worth looking into.

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: