CARS HOMES JOBS

House blaze put out next to Johnstown fire station

Sunday, February 24, 2013
Text Size: A | A

— A house fire in Johnstown was put out in short order Sunday afternoon thanks to some lucky city planning.

“The place is literally right across the street from the fire station,” said Assistant Chief Jeff Kollar. “They didn’t even call 911. They just ran across the street.”

The family living at 243 North Perry apparently left their Sunday dinner to cook unattended, accidentally starting a kitchen fire. At around 12:30, firefighters got a knock on the door, suited up and went to work.

In just a few minutes, they had a hose running inside the house.

“We were able to contain it to the kitchen,” he said.

The Red Cross was on hand shortly after to provide care packages and grocery money to the family of two parents and five children.

With the short response time, flames were doused quickly, and the house is still habitable.

“Smoke and water damage can get messy in a hurry,” he said. “They have some cleaning to do, but they won’t have to leave.”

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: