Metroplex to buy site of former Silver Diner
SCHENECTADY The Schenectady Metroplex Development Authority agreed Wednesday night to purchase the now-vacant site of the former Silver Diner on Erie Boulevard so it can package it with the nearby Olender and Robinson sites to sell to a developer.
The parcel of land at 167 Erie Blvd. is small, barely more than 1,000 square feet.
Longtime residents will remember it as the site that once housed a retired 1918 Pullman rail car from the Delaware & Hudson Railway Co.
That railway car opened as the Silver Diner in 1936 and bustled with employees from the nearby General Electric campus and others who visited downtown. Rubin Michelson bought it in 1975 and renamed it Ruby’s. Twenty-one years later, George Hutton bought it and brought back the Silver Diner name, but over the years its financial outlook dimmed.
The city took it in 2000 after it accrued unpaid taxes. It was demolished in 2009 to much outcry from the local preservation community.
Metroplex will buy the now-vacant parcel for $28,000.
The site abuts the rear of the Olender and Robinson sites on lower State Street and will be sold with them as a package to a developer.
Metroplex announced last month it plans to buy the vacant Olender building and the adjacent vacant lot where the Robinson’s Furniture complex once stood, tear down the Olender building and sell the parcels as one to a developer who would construct a mixed-use building on the site.
Metroplex has yet to identify the developer that has expressed interest in those parcels.