Silent auction to help fire victims
DUANESBURG Friends of a family that lost its possessions in a house fire last month are hosting a silent auction this afternoon to help them recover from the blaze.
Dennis and Evelyn O'Malley's home on Mudge Road was a total loss following the Nov. 19 fire. The O'Malleys weren't at home at the time, and no injuries were reported, but the family lost nearly everything inside.
The auction with more than 40 items -- including everything from prints by local artists to turkey dinners from an area restaurant -- starts at 4 p.m. and will continue until 8 p.m. at the Duanesburg Firehouse. All proceeds will go directly to the O'Malleys.
Organizers are posting a donation box at the event and are also raising money online at www.gofundme.com/OMalleyHouseFireBenefit. The online effort has so far generated nearly $5,000 to help the family recover.