CARS HOMES JOBS

Schenectady man admits strangling woman in car

August 13, 2013
Updated 11:37 p.m.
Text Size: A | A

— A pedestrian who choked a woman in a car stopped on Broadway last year pleaded guilty Tuesday to two felonies and now faces up to six years in state prison.

Deandre Coleman, 25, of Schenectady, admitted in Schenectady County Court to attempting to strangle the woman and then stealing the car she was in.

According to prosecutor William Sanderson, five women were coming back from Saratoga Springs early on Sept. 21 when an argument broke out in their car. The argument got heated and two of the women demanded that the driver stop the car and let them out near the Department of Social Services building. The two women got out of the car and began walking home. A third person inside the car then followed them to see if they were OK, leaving two people behind in the car.

That’s when Coleman stuck his head in the seemingly abandoned car before entering. His attorney, Michael Braccini, said the car happened to pull up in front of a house where his client had been drinking at a party.

The two women in the car immediately screamed at him to get out, Sanderson said, but he refused.

“He eventually starts to grab that backseat passenger and starts to choke her,” he said.

Both women were able to get out, but Coleman choked the victim again, this time causing her to momentarily lose consciousness.

The commotion led someone nearby to call police, and officers were there within minutes, Sanderson said. By that time, Coleman had gotten back into the car and started to drive off.

Seeing the police, he turned the car around and soon stopped and fled on foot, but officers tackled and arrested him.

Coleman has been jailed since then on charges of felony strangulation and grand larceny. He pleaded guilty to attempted strangulation and fourth-degree grand larceny, both felonies.

He is to be sentenced in October to consecutive 18-month-to-three-year sentences.

Coleman was also being held on a parole violation. Records show that he pleaded guilty in 2009 to second-degree attempted criminal possession of a weapon, a charge related to an incident with a pistol that April.

He was released from prison in 2011.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: