The Daily Gazette
The Locally Owned Voice Of The Capital Region
Advertisement
Promotions

Suit filed after Bisco leaves woman disabled

Text Size: A | A

Heather Bynum lost consciousness sometime during the predawn hours of July 12, 2012 — the first day of the Camp Bisco festival at the Indian Lookout Country Club. The 24-year-old Schenectady barber arrived at the festival nearly a day before the first acts were scheduled to play and had set up a tent with friends in the campground’s VIP section. But then something went horribly awry and Bynum stopped breathing. She was later resuscitated by ...

You Must or Subscribe to Continue
subscribe to the Daily Gazette
Individual stories can be found and purchased from our Archives for $2.00

Enjoy this story? Share it!

Advertisement

comments

wmarincic
August 9, 2013
7:04 a.m.

[ Flag Post ]

A good message for kids doing drugs, don't. You may end up like this poor girl.

bobsemp
August 9, 2013
7:48 a.m.

[ Flag Post ]

I truly feel for the family, but this story underscores what is wrong with our society today - Heather chooses to do illegal drugs, suffers dire medical problems, and then her family sues everyone they can, rather than owning up to the fact that it was Heather's choice to do drugs, knowing full well the potential consequences. I do not condone illegal drug use - but I am sick and tired of the people of this country wanting to blame someone else for their own lack of personal responsibility. Unfortunately, the courts will probably find for them, and Mr. Potter, et al, will have to pay up.

jleonard731
August 9, 2013
8:21 a.m.

[ Flag Post ]

The article says that "Bynum didn’t willingly take drugs, it’s more likely than not someone put something in her drink". And it is Potters responsibility to have medical facilities set up when there are that many people on his property. I am not saying that he is fully responsible for what happened to this girl but he should take some since he was not prepared to care or provide her with the right care she needed which delayed her helped.

mezz3131
August 9, 2013
9:24 a.m.

[ Flag Post ]

I heard from several people at the festival that people were putting something into water bottles and spraying it onto people. Alot of drugs can affect you by just getting in through your skin.

Will1960
August 9, 2013
3:01 p.m.

[ Flag Post ]

"Though he declined to discuss her toxicology at the time of her accident, he said she never had a history of doing drugs and was more prone to drink alcohol."

That's odd her attorney didn't want to provide the information from the Toxicology report that could have ruled out alcohol poisoning as a factor. Alcohol can be lethal. According the New York State Coroner's Associate there are over 4,000 teenage deaths annually in the USA due to AOD. However, it's rarely reported since the families don't want to disparage their newly deceased and keep the cause of death confidential.

Advertisement