Clifton Park doctor gets 3 to 6 years in grand larceny case
BALLSTON SPA A former gynecologist who is also serving a sentence for insurance fraud has been sentenced again on a grand larceny charge from Saratoga County.
Akiva Abraham, 47, formerly of 316 Miller Road, Clifton Park, was sentenced Thursday to three to six years in state prison and ordered to pay $165,640 in restitution. He is to serve the prison sentence concurrent with the sentence for insurance fraud from Albany County.
He was charged with defrauding the workers’ compensation system between April 2007 and October 2008 in Clifton Park. He pleaded guilty in August to felony third-degree grand larceny.
In May he began serving a four- to 12-year state prison sentence in connection with a 2009 fire at a nightclub he owned, Saratoga Winners in Colonie.
He was convicted in August 2010 of one count of second-degree insurance fraud, accused of filing an improper insurance claim when he knew the property had been destroyed by arson. Abraham was originally charged with arson as well, but was acquitted of that charge after trial.
Abraham is incarcerated in Altona state prison; the earliest he would be eligible for release on parole is March 2016.
Also on Thursday in Saratoga County Court:
• Edward Nortz, 41, of 17 Meditation Way, Wilton, pleaded guilty to felony driving while intoxicated and was placed in interim probation to participate in the Drug Treatment Court. He is scheduled to be sentenced in December. He was charged in June in Moreau.
• Merritt Westfall, 26, of 18 Russell St., Apt. 1, Saratoga Springs, pleaded guilty to committing felony DWI in August in Ballston Spa and was placed on interim probation to participate in Drug Treatment Court. Sentencing is scheduled for December.
• Jeffrey Hamblin Jr., 22, of 4727 Route 9N, Lot 5, Corinth, was sentenced to time he already served in jail plus five years’ probation and $275 restitution on a charge of felony criminal possession of a forged instrument.
• Sean Perham, 24, of Cohoes was sentenced to one year in Saratoga County Jail after pleading guilty to a probation violation from a 2010 DWI conviction.
• Michael Kio, 35, of Lake Luzerne was sentenced to five months in Saratoga County Jail after pleading guilty to a probation violation on a 2003 rape conviction.