The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region

Mohonasen High School student has MRSA infection

Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Text Size: A | A

— A Mohonasen High School student has been diagnosed with MRSA, school officials announced.

The district said in a statement on its website that at this time there is no reason to believe that more than one student has been infected. However, other students may have been exposed to the bacteria.

MRSA is a type of staphylococcus aureus bacteria normally carried on the skin and in the nose of healthy people. Some staph bacteria are resistant to the class of antibiotics usually used to treat staph infections, such as methicillin, and so are referred to as methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. If a diagnosis of MRSA is made, the infection is treated with a different antibiotic.

Mohonasen reports any known cases of MRSA involving students to the Schenectady County Health Department. A school nurse will follow up with the physician of students who have either been referred for screening or have tested positive.

This infection commonly causes boils and soft tissue infection. The symptoms may include redness, areas warm to the touch, pain, drainage, discomfort and swelling.

The district is asking parents to contact their family physician if their children are exhibiting any of these symptoms.

The district is using a cleaning agent that is designed to kill MRSA bacteria and is reminding students to practice good hygiene such as washing hands frequently, avoiding sharing personal items and wiping down athletic equipment after each use.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

October 3, 2012
7:42 a.m.
seawitch1313 says...

Be VERY vigilant! My SIL had a nasty case of it a couple years back. It started out looking like a pimple under her arm, and grew to the size of a large grapefruit. I'll spare you the gory details ( it was GROSS), but getting rid of it took a long time, and many trips back to the hospital for treatment.
Mohonasen, and parents.....warn the kids NOT to pick what looks like a pimple.

Log-in to post a comment.

 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: