CARS HOMES JOBS

Chimney fire damages Scotia home

Thursday, November 15, 2012
Text Size: A | A

Schenectady, Beukendaal, and Scotia firefighters battle a house fire at the Tony DiLorenzo home at 110 1st Street in the village of Scotia after flames broke out near the chimney on the side of the house shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday, November 15, 2012. Flames quickly spread into the walls of the stucture causing extensive damage thoughout the house.
Photographer: Peter R. Barber
Schenectady, Beukendaal, and Scotia firefighters battle a house fire at the Tony DiLorenzo home at 110 1st Street in the village of Scotia after flames broke out near the chimney on the side of the house shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday, November 15, 2012. Flames quickly spread into the walls of the stucture causing extensive damage thoughout the house.

— A Thursday night chimney fire spread into the walls of a First Street home, causing damage to the house.

The fire broke out shortly before 9:45 p.m. at 110 First St. Residents had a fire burning in the fireplace when they noticed a chemical smell, resident Tony Di Lorenzo said.

“I started looking around, and I heard a sound that wasn’t the fire in the fireplace,” Di Lorenzo said as firefighters continued to battle the stubborn blaze. “I came outside, and we had flames on the outside of the chimney.”

Di Lorenzo, his wife and their daughter evacuated unharmed.

Firefighters from Scotia and surrounding departments fought the fire, which spread from the fireplace area into the home’s adjacent walls. Smoke could be seen coming from the wall and the attic, though the main structure remained intact.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: