CARS HOMES JOBS

Afternoon fire damages Schenectady home

Saturday, December 29, 2012
Text Size: A | A

Schenectady firefighters Anthony Catalfamo, left, and Adam Colvin battle a Saturday afternoon blaze at 972 Florence Avenue.
Schenectady firefighters Anthony Catalfamo, left, and Adam Colvin battle a Saturday afternoon blaze at 972 Florence Avenue.

— An afternoon fire caused heavy damage to a single-family home near the intersection of Altamont and Chrisler avenues today, leaving the residence uninhabitable.

Schenectady firefighters were called about 12:25 p.m. for a fire at 972 Florence Ave., a two-story house built in 1940. The fire broke out in the kitchen after a woman started cooking but left the food unattended, said Deputy Fire Chief Michael Gillespie. The fire quickly spread to the second floor, he said.

“[The house] was extensively damaged by the fire, but I don’t think that it will need to be demolished,” he added.

The woman and three adult grandsons made it out of the home without injury, he said.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: