Fire damages Granville furniture manufacturing plant
GRANVILLE A fire in a wall near the main boiler at the Telescope Furniture plant on Church Street in Granville was extinguished quickly Thursday afternoon by the local fire department and the company’s own fire brigade.
Chief Ryan Pedone of the Granville Fire Department in Washington County said the structure fire was reported at 1:30 p.m. at the sprawling plant that manufactures a popular brand of lawn furniture sold in the Capital Region and across the United States.
He said the fire in the wall was started when ashes were being removed from the boiler and the wind blew some ashes into the siding and wall.
“There was minimal damage,” Pedone said.
He said when local firefighters arrived at the fire scene the company’s own fire brigade, which includes volunteer firefighters who work at the plant, had the flames under control. The Granville Fire Department was able to extinguish the fire.
Pedone said the boiler is under repair but production at the plant was back in operation by late Thursday afternoon.