CARS HOMES JOBS

District urges staph prevention

Schalmont officials say student fell ill but has recovered

Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Text Size: A | A

— Schalmont district officials confirmed on Tuesday that a high school student athlete at the district was diagnosed with a drug-resistant staph infection last week.

In a letter sent to parents Tuesday, the district acknowledged the case of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (known as MRSA). It gave suggestions on how to help prevent the disease. The student, whose name was not released, was evaluated by a physician, treated for the disease and has since returned to school, according to the letter.

“In this case, the kid is healthy and back in school with a doctor’s permission,” Superintendent of Schools Valerie Kelsey said.

Kelsey said the student had been absent from school recently and there was little cause for alarm. However, she said the district is taking extra precautions to ensure that the Schalmont facilities are thoroughly cleaned.

Schalmont confirmed the case of MRSA amid an investigation by the state Department of Health into the death of a high school junior from the neighboring Mohanasen district last week. Spokeswoman Claire Pospisil said the state Health Department is still trying to determine if a staph infection led to the death of the student, 17-year-old Kyle Gagnon.

“I think it’s premature to make any assumptions at this point,” she said.

Gagnon, a varsity basketball player at Mohonasen, died at the Albany Medical Center Hospital on Saturday. The district indicated that he was hospitalized earlier in the week for treatment of pneumonia.

Health Department officials have indicated that there is no identifiable risk related to the Mohanasen student’s death. School administrators also indicated that they had taken preventive measures to ensure the safety of students.

Mohonasen officials said any updates about the investigation will come from the state.

Staph bacteria are some of the most common causes of skin infection in the United States and are a common cause of pneumonia, surgical wound infections and bloodstream infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Infections occur most frequently in hospitals and health care facilities among people who have weakened immune systems.

Glynnis Hunt, a spokeswoman with the Schenectady County Health Department, said she was unaware of the Schalmont case. However, she said districts finding single cases of MRSA aren’t required to report them.

“Based on [the state] review, we’re trying to determine if anything else needs to be done,” she said.

Kelsey said Schalmont is trying to raise awareness about staph infections, even though the case they’ve identified doesn’t appear to pose a threat.

“I think because of what happened in Mohonasen, we have to refresh people’s memories about this issue.”

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

March 26, 2009
10:39 p.m.
jake0bean says...

Protect Our Children from MRSA

Officially recognized by NASA Certified Space Technology "ActivePure" with "SurfaceGuard" inactivated MRSA Staph 99.99% with about 97% of that kill in just two hours!

There is an alarming nationwide increase in the prevalence of MRSA infections in our schools that is threatening the lives of our children and educators. Over the years, the bacteria, identified as Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is no longer just in the hospitals, it is everywhere and has grown increasingly resistant to antibiotics.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, health care associated infections account for an estimated 1.7 million infections and 99,000 associated deaths each year in American hospitals.

My main goal is to bring about a sense of public awareness. To help educate overwhelmed parents, students, teachers, and medical staff that there are real solutions and precautionary measures that we can take to prevent the spread of infectious disease.

Together with help from school officials and local leaders, we can protect the health and secure the future of our children and loved ones for generations to come, by incorporating this scientifically proven technology into our local schools, hospitals, nursing homes, health clubs and daycare centers, helping to protect the entire education system and medical profession from increasing lawsuits and rising medical costs.

Laboratory studies conducted at Kansas State University have scientifically concluded our "ActivePure Technology" reduces dust, smoke, gases, airborne contaminants, cooking odors, pet odors and pollen, while reducing asthma and allergy triggers.

Eliminating bacteria, salmonella, ecoli, mold spores, and viruses on kitchen counter top surfaces, cafeteria and playtime areas, restrooms, locker rooms, gymnasiums, and exercise equipment, sanitizing the entire indoor environment 24/7.

The American Lung Association recommends "FreshAir" to purify and sanitize the air in your indoor living environment. See for yourself, how breathing, sleeping, and feeling better can improve the quality of life for your family and provide peace of mind in knowing you have the power to reduce illnesses and infectious diseases in your home by simply preventing them.

Contact me for a free three day in home trial or a free demonstration at your school.

Indoor Air Quality Specialist
Jacob Herrmann
Phone: (518) 427-6437
E-mail: cleanair4life@verizon.net
Website: www.cleanair4life.ecrater.com

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: